problem med internet, extrema|Nätverk / Internet|Forum|Nordichardware

Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Lost password?
The forums are currently locked and only available for read only access
sp_Feed sp_TopicIcon
problem med internet, extrema
Runcrantz
It’s a first time for everybody
Medlem
Forum Posts: 12
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
October 11, 2005 - 4:24 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

I'm posting this on various sites, some international, some swedish so i'm leaving it in english, it's going to be quite long so like beep i'm going to translate it.
I apologize if it got posted in the wrong section, believe me i tried my best in case i did post it wrong.
I might as well start from the beginning.

One lovely saturday night, about 21:37, my modem (Speedtouch 510 series) passed away to the other side, i screamed in fear "OMG w00t please wut teh phuck teh zuck!". Actually it didn't really die right there, as usual about once every two month i have a downtime that lasts about 5-30 minutes, so i just shut the modem off for 10 minutes and tried booting it again, the LED's were week and didn't shine in the right colours, tried rebooting it but this time no light came at all, guess i shouldn't have used the phrase stay away from the light...

I thought, what the hell, my ISP was about to upgrade my station any time soon and i'd get a new modem 'for free'.
A month passed and i decided to buy a new one instead (seems to be a tradition here with delays, i'm probably going to have to wait atleast another month), ctrl+s this in your memory. Billion BIPAC 5102SM, because it sucks >.<
It's an ethernet modem, not an USB one.

I asked the guy behind the counter "so, does it come with a router?" "no, doesn't seem to say so either"

Ran home (well, i had to take the bus most of the way) and plugged it in, read the instructions, they were for windows XP "oh please! ah, should be more or less the same for win2k" i seems i was wrong, the instructions (for windows xp) said: "add a new network, after the opening banner. windows will tell you that the new connection wizard and you (i'm quoting, believe me) will then see the following screen. click next"

The fact i didn't get a wizard in win2k already told me somehow, this wasn't going to work. "select connect to the internet and click next" this one i had, yay!

"select set up my connection manually" i sort of had this one, but here it ends for me in w2k. It continues with "Connect using a broadband connection the requires (i'm telling you, some chinese guy had to have written these instructions) a user name and password and click next" but i never ever got to see this one, in win2k it wishes to search for plug n play compatible hardware, or whatever. Of course win2k doesn't find anything, but shows me a list of standard 56k modems, i even tried picking some but that wouldn't work as it would force me to enter a phone number, i tried erasing it afterwards but it wouldn't connect.

After some thinking, i remembered i had a machine upstairs running windows XP, the instructions worked perfectly, 'cept i didn't get to see any typos, so i ran downstairs again and in my network settings i entered 192.168.1.2 (the one upstairs had 192.168.1.1, actually 192.168.0.1 cuz when your sharing internet XP forces this ip, but after it forces you, you just have to edit again and it works) and 255.255.255.0, as gateway i entered the XP machine's ip, as well as in the dns form and it worked perfectly, i thought i solved everything now. 'cept bittorrent was 5kb/s (my max downstream atm in theory is 62kb/s). It was rather strange since there was no router or nat or anything in the modem, so i searched around for the real manual online, apparently there's suppose to be a router in the modem but i can't access it through the web by entering 192.168.1.254, but i can ping it... so, there's no router?

Thought i'd might as well update the firmware, you need to do so if you want the modem to support greater speed than 8mbit, i didn't really need to do this but what the hell, might be something else wrong. Apparenly those pages were missing, from the pdf... the firmware instructions was on page 64, so i scrolled "59, 60, 61, 62, 69, 70... wtf".

I really need/needed the instructions cuz all the zip file included was a file called "RAS" with no file ending, tried google but i didn't seem to find anything that helped me.

My next problems was that the computer upstairs (using AVG 7.0 antivirus, XP SP1) kept freezing, it didn't really hung cuz you could move the mouse and access the start menu, but you couldn't access any properties or open internet explorer (not FF either) or even explorer, not even what-ever-it's-called-in-english ctrl+alt+del, so what you need/have to do is pull the power. I had access to internet for about 30 minutes, then same thing happened (never ever on win2k) i suspected the modem, but how could it even manage such a thing?

Tried setting up another machine with XP, which would work as a sort of internet server, worked, 'cept i managed to get loads of spyware and blaster... even with all the hotfixed installed, and even antivirus running, aaaand the same freezing thingy happened all over again... so i finally tried installing XP on my machine, i really hate winxp (win2k for teh win!!!!!), and i was about to hate it even more. So, i install antiviruses, firewall (btw, has anyone even managed to get nvidias firewall to work? using the asus a8n-sli deluxe nforce4 chipset) hotfixes, everything, well what i had for blocking sasser and blaster. Got internet working, but after about 30 minutes or so the shit "freezes" again, seems something blocked windows update, sometimes i couldn't even get to windows update before the computer hung for real. Once it actually got all the hotfixes downloaded, at least what i thought, so i went to windows update to check, apparently i canceled everything, anyways... i downloaded every hotfix (about 20) manually and installed them, after this the computer didn't freeze for about 17 hours, but then it did again, and this time it hangs in between 30-60 minutes everytime and i just don't get the fucking deal, and it's obviously some sort of virus or atleast yet another winxp bug, i'd use win2k if i could get the internet working.

I'm not really sure what i want with all this but atleast some insight in why XP freezes like this, ONLY when i'm connected to the internet, only then. and ONLY on winxp. Also someone to help me get this shitty modem to work in w2k, i just don't have the skill enough to configure, if it's even possible >.< Thanks in advance and i'm sure you can find some holes, usefull stuff i forgot to tell etc (even know it feels i forgot loads of stuff).
Please let me get rid of this missery.

hoppas inte engelskan ställer till det >.<

Forum Timezone: Europe/Stockholm
Most Users Ever Online: 694
Currently Online:
Guest(s) 56
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
Andreas Galistel: 16287
Jonas Klar: 15897
ilg@dd: 10810
Nyhet: 10607
Mind: 10550
Ctrl: 10355
Gueno: 9881
Guest: 9344
Snorch: 8881
Callister: 8468
Newest Members:
PetrbonFU PetrbonFU
Karine Bembry
Dolores Mcdaniels
Anibal McLeish
Francisca Alt
Alfie Everhart
Lester Huitt
Orlando Jorgensen
Mikki Lundgren
Dakota Kozlowski
Forum Stats:
Groups: 11
Forums: 59
Topics: 146630

Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 2
Members: 79425
Moderators: 0
Admins: 11
Administrators: nordicadmin, Henrik Berntsson, Anton Karmehed, Carl Holmberg, Joel Oscarsson, Mikael Linnér, Mikael Schwartz, Andreas Paulsson, Nickebjrk, Mattias Pettersson, EmxL