Introduces First ThinkPad Laptops Featuring VISION Pro Technology from AMD, Expands Retail Business with Best Buy with New ThinkPad Edge Laptops
RESEARCH TRIANGLE PARK, NC – Lenovo today announced a new ThinkPad laptop series designed to push ThinkPad design and innovation to the edge. Simply called “ThinkPad Edge,” the 13, 14 and 15 inch models are designed specifically for small to medium sized business (SMB) customers. The 13 inch model represents the first ThinkPad laptop to offer AMD dual core processor technology and to be offered on AMD’s VISION Pro Technology. In addition to performance, the new laptops are designed with style and affordability in mind for today’s budget-conscious customers. For example, they include new rich and vibrant color choices and a new contemporary keyboard. Lenovo is also expanding its retail sales channel to offer select ThinkPad Edge models in Best Buy stores.
“Small to medium business customers tell us they want PCs with bold yet professional designs, uncompromising durability and reliability with the latest technologies that meets their budgets,” said Fran O’Sullivan, senior vice president, Think Product Group, Lenovo. “Our answer is the new ThinkPad Edge family of laptops. They deliver stunning technology and powerful performance at an unprecedented value.”
Click here to watch a video introduction to the ThinkPad Edge laptops.
Sophisticated and Simple Design
The ThinkPad Edge Series laptops reflect a new progressive and strikingly clean appearance while retaining ThinkPad durability and reliability. For example, the laptops include spill-resistant keyboards and value-added ThinkVantage Technologies like the Active Protection System and Rescue and Recovery.
However, the new laptops blend expressive design and ease of use in several new ways:
- Contemporary Keyboard – A new contemporary keyboard gives the laptop a clean and inviting look. Uniform black keys and removal of the embedded number pad also help create a modern design. The Function keys have even been re-designed so that users only need to use one finger to access multimedia functions and more. Other rarely used keys like System Request have been removed. Additionally, select models of the ThinkPad Edge 14 and 15 inch versions will come with illuminated keyboards for visibility in low light conditions while adding a touch of elegance to the keyboard.
- Expanded Touchpad – A large multitouch touchpad provides an oversized landing pad for fingers to pinch, zoom and scroll.
- Expressive, Colorful Palette – Midnight Black in either gloss or soft finishes remain the traditional color for business, but for those who want to make a statement, ThinkPad Edge laptops come in Heatwave Red too. Additionally, a sleek silver band frames the exterior of the laptop.
SMB Performance Gets New Edge
SMBs “are a 24 x 7 business,” and their PC technology reflects their personal brand. Lenovo designed the ThinkPad Edge Series specifically to give these customers stylish and eye-catching designs with high performance, reliability and the latest technologies including:
- Great performance with choices of AMD Turion and Athlon Neo dual core processors or Intel Core 2 Duo ultra low voltage and standard dual core processors
- Optimized for Windows 7 under Lenovo’s Enhanced Experience program
- Long battery life of over eight hours
- Wireless connectivity technologies including WiFi and optional Bluetooth, 3G and WiMAX3
- Crisp and clear voice over Internet protocol with Skype™ software, high definition speakers, high resolution, low light sensitivity cameras and microphone and camera mute keys
- Commitment to green technology. The laptops carry a Gold rating from the Electronic Product Environmental Assessment Tool and meet Energy Star 5.0. The Edge laptops contain no foam and use many materials which are derived from 100 percent recycled content, such as thermoplastic, sugarcane or sorghum
“Expanding our relationship with Lenovo to include ThinkPad laptops represents a turning point for AMD’s commercial client business and creates enormous opportunity for both companies,” said Leslie Sobon, vice president, Product Marketing, AMD. “By basing these laptops on VISION Pro Technology, Lenovo is enabling customers to gain a competitive advantage with performance you can see on today’s collaboration and visual productivity applications, unbeatable value at every price point and a means of eliminating IT headaches through open standards manageability and security features.”
Total Service and Support
Lenovo also offers a full suite of flexible service and support solutions for the new ThinkPad Edge Series. Lenovo-branded services give customers and business partners a single source solution that helps minimize risks and increases protection and productivity.
These services include:
- ThinkPad Protection to protect from unexpected repair costs in case of accidents or spills
- Priority Support for 24/7 tech-to-tech support
- Hard Disk Drive Retention that lets customer keep their failed or damaged hard drive to ensure data remains safely in their hands
Pricing and Availability
The ThinkPad Edge 13 inch version will be available starting January 5 with models starting at approximately $549 through Lenovo Business Partners and www.lenovo.com. The 14 and 15 inch versions will be available starting in 2Q 2010. Select Best Buy stores in the U.S. will offer the 14 inch version.
For the latest Lenovo news, subscribe to Lenovo RSS feeds or follow Lenovo on Twitter and Facebook. Follow Lenovo’s activities at the International Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas online.
Lenovo (HKSE: 992) (ADR: LNVGY) is dedicated to building exceptionally engineered personal computers. Lenovo’s business model is built on innovation, operational efficiency and customer satisfaction as well as a focus on investment in emerging markets. Formed by Lenovo Group’s acquisition of the former IBM Personal Computing Division, the company develops, manufactures and markets reliable, high-quality, secure and easy-to-use technology products and services worldwide. Lenovo has major research centers in Yamato, Japan; Beijing, Shanghai and Shenzhen, China; and Raleigh, North Carolina. For more information see www.lenovo.com.